Jumping Back In, Possibly

Believe it or not, I have applied to be a public defender again. At a new office. In a new city.

I had an interview, and it was a little bit weird. I know a lot about being a public defender already, I know what I'm getting myself into, I can talk the public defender talk and trade war stories, but I didn't want to come across as a know-it-all.

At the end of the interview they asked me, "What questions do you have for us?" And, of course, I answered with an appropriate question.  

Here are the questions I could have asked, but didn't:

1)  What does my office will look like?  There's a window, right?  Preferably one that brings in light, not just looking out at a brick wall. 

2)  Tell me about your happy hours?  What bar do you go to? Weekly? What night? Does everyone go, or are there certain groups?

3)  What can I expect when I bring home a full acquittal?  Champagne and canap├ęs? Or beer and chips?  Not that there's anything wrong with either, I just want to know what to expect. 

4)  Tell me who the office gossip is. I want to know who to watch out for.

5)  The softball team - is it more of a drinking team with a softball problem, or is it pretty competitive?  We do have a softball team... don't we? 

If there's anyone still out there reading this, do you have any questions for me? 

12 comments:

  1. Ah, there you are. Excellent. Best in your new endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, maybe. Does this mean you'll start writing again regularly?

    So asks the guy who at the age when most people think about retiring, gave up private practice and took up a full-time job as a PD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping back in? I didn't know you'd jumped out.

    I'd ask them about their policy toward employee use of toilet paper. Do the restroom stalls have those toilet paper dispensers where the roles are locked inside and you have to use up each roll completely before the next roll drops, but they rub against the mechanism, so you can only pull off 3 or 4 sheets before it rips? Because although you hold clients' lives in your hands every day, they bosses don't really trust you not to waste toilet paper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that really an issue at a PD office???

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, possibly? I didn't even know you quit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever think about trying to get into the District Attorney's office?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you left PD work. I'm curious to know: why'd you leave? Why'd you come back? I've been a PD for ten years, but I'm planning to go into private practice soon. Two reasons: 1) I can't afford to be a PD anymore - ten years out of law school and I've made zero progress on my law school debt, and 2) being a PD feels like being part of the problem. After all this time, I have to conclude that all we do is legitimize America's mass incarceration of its own citizens.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, and welcome back to the land of the living!

    One quick question for you: What leads you to want a second bite at the apple? =|8-}/2

    Good luck!

    Jeff Deutsch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure yet... I'm kind of just feeling things out. So, we'll see!

      Delete
  8. You were entitled to ask those questions. You know what the saying is about all work and no play.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you come back to PD work, and I hope you start writing regularly again! Have missed having you around.

    ReplyDelete