A Public Defender Once Again

A recap of my first few days as a public defender.

I had to wait around a half-day while someone found the person who was supposed to know where my office was going to be. I met my supervisor. I finally found an office, although I've been told it's only temporary.

I got my picture taken for my ID, and for a court pass. I filled out some tax forms, some insurance forms. I got a half-hour class on my health insurance coverage. I got an introduction on vacation time, sick time, and some other stuff that I already forgot. (So long as I remember "vacation time" that's all that matters.)

I set up an email account and a password. I tried to set up my voice mail and phone but there was something wrong with the phone. I spent a few hours reading the internet because there was nothing for me to do yet and no one around for me to bother (and say, "Hey, can you show me around?") I got a little mailbox, and checked in ten times. So far, nothing. Some day, an empty mailbox will be a blessing, I guess.

I figured out the copiers, to the extent that they can be "figured out."

I spent a half-day just sitting in a few different courtrooms, just trying to get "the lay of the land."

Then, it turns out that there's a guy who is leaving at the end of the week. I'm going to be taking over a lot of his caseload. So he's been trying to fill me in on all of the unwritten details of his cases and introduce me to a few of the clients who have more involved cases. A couple of those cases are on for trial soon, so I'll have to decide whether I want to jump right in, and try a case immediately, or whether I want to go to the judges and play the "I'm new..." card.

I think it's going to get interesting fast.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Feels right, doesn't it?

    Apropos of nothing, have you seen the video for "Viva La Vida"? Absolutely worst video EVER. Never has a video made me hate a song I loved so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it does feel right.

    I haven't seen the video, but I'll be sure to avoid it now. Don't want to ruin a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you're back with our ranks. It's good to have such good attorneys fighting the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is your PD practice now in relation to your prior stint as a PD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your move and I wish you the best of luck.

    Dennis Wilkins
    Guest PD Blogger at PDDude

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you find your second time around as a PD as enjoyable as I have found mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been out of the loop for a little while and haven't been reading many blogs over the last couple months. So today I randomly thought I would check your blog to "see if she finally quit her private practice job to go back to being a public defender," and you did! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete